Monday, October 10, 2011

Acorns, and squirrels, and leaves..oh my!

I made these sugar cookies for my family's fish fry over the weekend. My brother is an avid fisherman who caught enough fish to feed my gi-normous family (thanks, Eric!). I used the basic sugar cookie recipe from Cookie Craft. I love this book for fun decorating ideas. If you're looking for a way to eliminate the hassle of trying to make sugar cookies, then you need this book. I learned how to use cookie slats to roll out the dough to a perfect 1/4 inch. I also learned the trick to rollout the dough before refrigerating. The cookies cut out really easy if the dough is stif

A co-worker shared how to make these super easy acorns with me. She saw them used as cupcake toppers at a bake sale. It's really more of a craft project. You need mini nilla wafers, kisses, and baking chips. I used the multi-color nilla wafers, milk chocolate kisses (the candy corn variety would look great), and Reese's peanut butter chips. I used leftover icing from the sugar cookies to "glue" the components together. The acorns were a huge hit at the party. The little kids enjoyed them the most!

Here's a close up of the cookies. I wanted to add additional decorations, but time ran out. I think they turned out okay. I'm working on my piping skills...it's definitely a work in progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment