Thursday, July 21, 2011

YA Lit

I'm reading a lot of Young Adult literature lately. I think it all started with the WSJ article Darkness Too Visible by Meghan Cox Gurdon. She attacked YA for being too negative and for exploring dark subject matters. I follow Maureen Johnson on twitter who immediately responded with an eloquent defense of all types of YA. Check out this post by Kate Hart who examined 400 YA covers published during 2010. As it turns out, they're definitely not dark. As I followed the developing story, I fondly recalled reading whatever books I wanted to back in the 80's during my formative years (does anyone else recall M.E. Kerr's Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack! ?), so I decided to check out new YA.

I read Johnson's 13 Little Blue Envelopes (don't let the girlie cover fool you) followed quickly by Jay Asher's 13 Reasons Why. Over the weekend I devoured The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I was going to search for more titles, but I'll probably start Catching Fire, the 2nd book in the trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment